||Ground breaking ceremonies marked the start of construction of
parsonage on Cambridge Street. The parsonage was completed and first
occupied in 1948.
||The main sanctuary was completely renovated and beautified. This was
followed by the restoration of the parsonage in 1957.
||In March, the First Volume of our church records from the old chapel
were given to the State Library. The Nursery School sponsored by the ECC
was opened. Mrs. Kelleher was the first director of the school.
||The steeple was raised to the Glory of God.
||The 40th Anniversary of the Elmwood Community Church
was celebrated on April 23rd. The 25 Bell Carillon was dedicated at a
special 3 p.m. service.
||The death of Rev. Sterling White is noted with deep
regret. He passed away while serving as Pastor. He was Pastor for 16
||Reverend Carl L. Christensen was called to be the 4th
pastor of Elmwood Community Church.
||Reverend Robert Loggie was called to be the first
Associate Pastor in the history of Elmwood Community Church.
||The church mortgage was burned at the annual meeting
of the congregation.
||The parish hall facilities were made available to
Head Start Children of Greater Hartford."
||Reverend Carl L. Christensen resigned as pastor after
serving for seven years. Reverend William A. Jeffrey, Jr. was called to
become the 5th Pastor of the Elmwood Community Church.
||Reverend William A. Jeffrey, Jr. was installed and
Howard Mayer began his ministry as a full-time Associate Pastor. The
50th Anniversary of the Elmwood community Church was celebrated on April
18th with an 11 a.m. worship service in the sanctuary and a dinner
celebration at 6 p.m. at Talcott Junior High School.
||Howard Mayer was ordained to the Christian Ministry.
The exterior of the church was painted.
||The Hot Lunch Program began in the Parish Hall with
Federal financing, town assistance, and volunteers from the Elmwood
||Phil Conte became a lay minister. The flagpole was
dedicated to Dr. English on July 4th.
||The music ministry of Elmwood Community Church was
renewed with enthusiasm when June Day Ananikian began her music
||Over 200 voices participated in the First Elmwood
Christmas Carol Sing that took place on the church steps. The lift into
the sanctuary was installed.
||Continued on the next page...