||The first Congregational Church was organized in a meeting house
built in the newly incorporated Township of "The West Division Parish"
to the west of Hartford. 164 years later, a group of that church's
members built the Elmwood Community Chapel.
||The Ladies' Benevolent Sewing Society was organized in the South
District. After interruption during the Civil War period this society
resumed activity and had a membership of fifty by 1871.
||South District Sunday School began.
||The Elmwood Social Union was organized November 12th.
||The Elmwood Sewing Society was formed December 14th.
||The Village Improvement Society was formed October 30th.
||The Elmwood Chapel Association, Inc. was formed September 16th.
||The independent Community Church was organized in March. In April,
James F. English was ordained Pastor after having served as a student
||A Sunday School of more than one hundred plus a number of
other community and church organizations quickly outgrew the facilities.
"Mrs. William H. Mueller was quick to offer a workable plan." She
start a building fund which would eventually supply more than $115,000.
||In February Reverend Charles K. Tracy came to Elmwood to help build
the meeting house. Digging began in October.
||The corner stone was laid on May 8th by a delegation from the Wyllys
Lodge No. 99 of West Hartford, with elaborate Masonic symbolism and one
hundred lodge members in attendance.
||The Women's Federation was organized.
||The Women's Federation Teams were regrouped as "Circles". Ten teams
became 5 Circles.
||Reverend Charles K. Tracy resigned as active pastor after 20 years
of service and became Pastor Emeritus. Reverend Sterling S. White became
the third pastor of the Elmwood Community Church. The 25th Anniversary
of the Elmwood Community Church was celebrated in March.
on next page...